Who we are
Rhode Island Discovered is an independent travel website covering things to do, places to stay, where to eat, and local events in the state of Rhode Island with information for visitors and local residents. Our website address is: https://rhodeislanddiscovered.com. This website is not affiliated with the official state tourism board or the State of Rhode Island.
HOW INFORMATION IS COLLECTED & USED
- Information You Voluntarily Submit to the Website: We may collect personal information from you such as your name or email address, as described above. For example, you may voluntarily submit information to the Website by leaving a comment, subscribing to a newsletter, signing up for a giveaway, or submitting a contact form.
- Information We Collect from Others: We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, if you use a third-party software through the site, they may transfer information to us for fulfillment.
- Automatically-Collected Information: We automatically collect certain information about you and the device with which you access the Website. For example, when you use the Website, we will log your IP address, operating system type, browser type, referring website, pages you viewed, and the dates/times when you accessed the Website. We may also collect information about actions you take when using the Website, such as links clicked.
- Cookies: We may log information using cookies, which are small data files stored on your browser by the Website. We may use both session cookies, which expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which stay on your browser until deleted, to provide you with a more personalized experience on the Website.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE USED
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain the Website;
- To send you promotional information, such as newsletters. Each email promotion will provide information on how to opt-out of future mailings;
- To send you administrative communications, such as administrative emails, confirmation emails, technical notices, updates on policies, or security alerts;
- To respond to your comments or inquiries;
- To provide you with user support;
- To market products through display or affiliate advertisements;
- To market to you on third-party platforms, such as Facebook;
- To track and measure advertising on the Website;
- To process payment for purchases you make through the Website; or,
- To protect, investigate, and deter against unauthorized or illegal activity.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
This Website uses Google Analytics to analyze traffic to the Website. In order to track usage, Google Analytics places a cookie with a randomly generated Client ID on your browser. Google does use your personal information such as your IP address in order to capture reporting for the Website regarding usage. You may opt-out of Google Analytics through a Browser Add-on, which is available here.
From time to time, we may use anonymous data, which does not identify you alone, or when combined with data from other parties. This type of anonymous data may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. Examples of this anonymous data may include analytics or information collected from cookies.
Affiliate Program Participation
The Website may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the Website. If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions.
This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. As part of this Amazon Associates program, the Website will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. This program utilizes cookies to track visits for the purpose of assigning commissions on these sales.
On the Website, you may subscribe to our newsletter, which may be used for advertising purposes. All newsletters sent may contain tracking pixels. The pixel is embedded in emails and allows an analysis of the success of online marketing campaigns. Because of these tracking pixels, we may see if and when you open an email and which links within the email you click. Also, this allows the Website to adapt the content of future newsletters to the interests of the user. This behavior will not be passed on to third parties.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
f you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
GDPR – RIGHTS RELATED TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you are within the European Union, you are entitled to certain information and have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). Throughout this policy, we have disclosed what information we collect and how it is used. Under GDPR, you also have the following rights:
Right to Opt-out – You may opt-out of future email communications by following the unsubscribe links in our emails. You may also contact us at the email below to be removed from our mailing list.
Right to Access – You may access the personal information we have about you by submitting a request.
Right to Amend – You may contact us to amend or update your personal information.
Right to Be Forgotten – In certain situations, you may request that we erase or forget your personal data.
You may exercise any of these rights by emailing [email protected]
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes or to complete transactions, or when required by law. Unless you exercise such rights, we reserve the right to retain your data.
Last updated: November 28, 2022